Friday, August 20, 2010

Getting my Vista Laptop on Wireless Internet?

I have a Zoom AP+4 wireless router which is connected from my modem, the Ethernet cable is connected into the WAN port on the router and there is another Ethernet cable running from the LAN 1 port to the back of my desktop computer, im also using a power line Ethernet adapter (so i can play the xbox online in my room via the adapter) where its connected via an Ethernet cable running from the LAN 2 port on my router





the only problem is when i have the laptop connected via wireless, i can connect to the router without any hassle but when i open the network sharing center it says i have no connection to the internet and when i diagnose the problem it says that it cannot communicate with the microsoft site due to a dns error, does anybody know how to resolve this so i have the 3 simultaneous connections running at the same time ?Getting my Vista Laptop on Wireless Internet?
I have trouble understanding the part where you say ';have a Zoom AP+4 wireless router which is connected from my modem';.





What kind of modem is it? How is it connected to the wireless router?





Your problem may be DHCP. On any network there should always only be one single DHCP server. If your modem has a DHCP server built in, and your wireless router also acts as a DHCP server, then you have two competing devices which want to serve IP addresses to the devices on your LAN.





Before I can help you any further, I would really need to understand what kind of modem this is and how it is plugged in to the router.





EDIT:





Now I understand your setup. What is strange, though, is that you have a computer that connects to the router with a regular Ethernet cable, but the wireless LAN won't work properly and you say it seems like there is a DNS problem.





You should try to plug your notebook directly into another LAN port on your router and see if it works then. If it does, there's something wrong with the settings on your notebook. Maybe you have it set so that it can't properly use DHCP?Getting my Vista Laptop on Wireless Internet?
try fixing this problem by opening up command prompt and typing:





ipcongfig /renew





this might work





hopes this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment